Monday, February 8, 2016

problem in uploading messages from outlook to yahoo IMAP server - the server modifies and corrupts message header

lately I was trying to upload my old email *.pst files to Yahoo mail using Outlook 2010 in order to make a backup there in case of a problem happens with my HDD, but the problem I faced is that for certain messages I kept seeing them getting corrupted each time I upload them to the server, after googling out the problem for almost a day and trying to decrypt my traffic with Wireshark to see exactly what is happening I found nothing valuable,

As Outlook doesn't allow you to edit message header, I was fortunate that I was able find an excellent program that can retrieve the message from the server then store it as .eml, the program name is IMAPSize. so I tried saving the message then edit it with text editor, and I could see where exactly the problem is by comparing the corrupted message with correct one. so I edited the header, saved the message then opened it in Outlook, then clicked "move" then chose the destination folder and Voila!!! message uploaded correctly.

The reason why this is happening is still a mystery as It happened before on different IMAP server, so definitely it is a bug either in Outlook or IMAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment